May
20
2013
0

Big Bambu

Big Bambu_ph Mike+Doug Starn_7590_hr - Copia
Enel, he Italian electricity company, decided to celebrate its 50th anniversary through art and to do so, brought Big Bambu to the Macro Testaccio Museum.

Big Bambu is an architectural sculpture created by the twin artists Mike and Doug Stern. Visitors can climb the gigantic structure, fromed by thousands or bamboo stems and reflect upon interconnection, serendipity, and the long road we have traveled as a species since our three-climbing days.

The sculpture is open from 4 to 7 PM until October 31, 2013. Visitors are required to sign a waiver and to bring proper clothes and shoes. Macro Testaccio is located at Piazza Orazio Giustiniani, 4.

May
17
2013
0

Bruegel in Rome

Brueghel

It appears that being the son or daughter of a famous artists isn’t easy, that’s why we don’t find in art many examples of artistic dinasties. One the happy exceptions are the Bruegels, a family of Flemish painters whose work will be on display at the Chiostro del Bramante Museum until June 2, 2013.

The exhibition follows  the four generations of Bruegels drawing a parallel beetwen their artistic evolution and the  vicisitudes of their personal lives. To the contemporary eye the work of the Bruegel dinasty might appear odd at times; it uses the same moralistic and sometimes grotesque perspective used by Hyeronimus Bosch, a contemporary of the Bruegels whose surreal slant is greatly appreciated by modern painters.

The Chiostro del Bramante is open everyday from 10:00 until 20:00 (until 21:00 Saturdays and Sundays). To reach the museum from Yes Hotel or Hotel Des Artistes, go to the station Termini, take the bus 64 for for 10 stops and then get off at Corso Vittorio Emanuele/ Navona.

Mar
31
2013
0

Pope Francis’ Bus Tickets

papabit_francesco-300x161

Do you know what’s all the rage right now in Rome? Bus tickets.

Well, not ordinary bus tickets:  Atac, the company resposible for the public transportation in Rome has just issued tickets with Pope Francis’ image on them.  The company claims that since the limited edition of the tickets hit the streets on March 27th sales have increased by 32%.

If you get one hold on to it– something tells me they’ll become vintage souvenirs!

Feb
12
2013
0

All the taste of chocolate in Rome

praline

For the first time in Rome  you can enjoy the world of chocolate: Ciok in Rome, from February 9 to March 10

Is start in rome  by appointment from 9 February to 14 March with Ciok in Rome, the first Roman event entirely dedicated to chocolate.

Scheduled at the Montemartini, in Ostiense, introduces us to the magical world of chocolate in all its facets, from history to craft production, its representations in art and cinema to the traditions of the great companies

The typical post-industrial atmosphere of the Ostiense, celebrated by the cinema and the artists, will be the backdrop to the “Chocolate Factory” recreated the premises of the “Central Montemartini John”, a unique example of industrial archeology.

Ciok in Rome is an exhibition through which artisans, businesses, shops, associations, producers have to the general public for the first time involved in an amazing project come to life thanks to which synergies, business relationships and new business. It ‘a village with attention to every detail, for an itinerary that, through the great Italian tradition, reaching regional markets, celebrating the pride of the most important culinary traditions of Italy.

Pralines, tablets, sculptures, teddy bears, mugs of hot chocolate without the calories here is the most popular delicacies not to be missed during the gourmet event.

Exhibition February   9 to 14 of February 2013
- The artisans and the master chocolatiers -

Free entrance
Hours:

Saturday 09/02
Opening hours 12:30
Hours open to the public 12:30 to 22:00

Sunday  10/02

Monday 11/02

Wednesday 13/02

Tuesday 12/02 and

Valentine’s Day Thursday 14/02
10:00 to 22:00

MontemartiniVia Ostiense 106 – 00154 Rome

So there is no way to miss this greats events! Contact us through our websites or Hotel Des Artistes to make a booking


Written by NIC81 in: Events in Rome, Exhibitions, Uncategorized |
Nov
26
2012
0

Villa D’Este Tivoli

Villa D'Este TivoliPopes or their families were involved in making expensive and impressive villas, arts or monuments for power and family prestige, now these structures account to a great deal of income.

Villa D’Este is no different story, in-fact this is byproduct of Roman Catholic priests’ luxurious and competitive life style.

Pope Julius III elevated Cardinal Ippolito II D’Este, grandson of Pope Alexander VI, to governor of Tivoli (north east of Rome) in 1550.

As a result of his new assignment, the cardinal was given an old monastery. Not satisfied with the new office, Ippolito, called famous architects, engineers and painters of that time to change an unknown monastery to ‘gardening and water-play model’ across Europe.

In the process, Villa Adriana marbles and statues were dismantled by the orders of the cardinal to making his own villa better.

The late-Renaissance villa stayed on D’Este family until the 18th C. when Maria Beatrice (daughter of Ercole II D’Este) married Duke Ferdinand of Habsburg, and automatically the villa became a Habsburg property.

As other Roman villas fate, the D’Este fell in disrepair and was neglected till the Italian State bought and restored it after the end of first world war. It is now open to the public

Villa D’Este became UNESCO world Heritage Site in 2001.




Adu K

Nov
23
2012
0

Villa Adriana Tivoli

villa AdrianaVilla Adriana, a UNESCO Heritage Site since 1999, continues to marvel generations that come to pass 20 centuries after it was built. On return from Egypt & Greece, Emperor Hadrian decided to make a retreat villa (from the chaotic city of Rome) similar to the architecture and worship that he learnt in the eastern section of his empire.

At the end of his reign, Hadrian had his quarters in this impressive villa of 1 sq km. There were various edifices including theatres, Greek and Latin libraries, two bathhouses, formal gardens with fountains, statues, pools, underground for servants, extensive housing for guests and the palace staff.

Today, the villa located 25 km north east of Rome, is nothing but ruins of what was once the glamour of its time.

Little remains of the original villa, because materials were reused to make Villa D’Este in the area, looted by barbarians or civilians and neglected for centuries. Though,16th century excavations brought to life parts of the villa, still large section remains unearthed.

The various sections of the complex recovered in part are: Hall of Doric Pillars (basilica), Temple of Venus, Greek Theatre, Maritime Theatre (Hadrian’s small favorite island), Hall of Philosophers (library), Heliocaminus (baths), Nymphaeum Stadium, Poecile (large garden with swimming pool), Canopus (god Serapis sanctuary with 119 m long canal decorated with statues), Large and Small Thermae (hot & cold baths) and Piazza d’Oro (formal dinning room).



Adu K


Nov
15
2012
0

Trinità Dei Monti (Spanish Steps)

imagesThe Trinità Dei Monti (French church) with the beautiful Scalinata (staircase) beneath it, is a magnificent Roman Baroque style. The design of the staircase opens like a receptacle round the church’s square.

Ideas and efforts to give Trinità Dei Monti a better look by changing the ragged slope below, started in the1580s and continued for almost 140 years.

Initially a French diplomat, Etienne Gueffier, financed the works of Scalinata. Innocent XII finalized the unfinished job under Francesco De Sanctis and Alessandro Spechi (1723-25).

The Scalinata is also called Spanish steps -after a Spanish ambassador living in the area. It has 138 stairs and is the widest of its kind in Europe.

The Barcaccia Fountain, is another attraction at the foot of the Scalinata. Pietro and his son Gian Lorenzo Bernini made this sinking boat (1627-29) to overcome a technical problem due to low water pressure. The boat was meant to be in memory of Tiber river victims in 1598 and the legend is a fisher’s boat was carried by the flood to the exact site, where the Barcaccia Fountain now sits.

This particular site is provided by a metro stop beneath, a parking lot behind and Rome’s expensive shopping street infront.



Adu K

Nov
12
2012
0

St John in Lateran Basilica

sjl1A member of the Laterani family was said to have conspired against Emperor Nero, the emperor in retaliation confiscated and redistributed what belonged to the family. The Lateran Palace was among them. In the 4th century, Emperor Constantine, gave the palace to the Roman Catholics.

As it is officially called, Papal Archbasilica of Saints John the Baptist and John the Evangelist in Lateran, was restored from its original look by Pope Sixtus V in the 16th century. He demolished the existing building and made a completely new basilica.

In the 10th century, the basilica was first dedicated to St John the Baptist and in the 12th century to St John the Evangelist. These two saints are regarded as co-patrons. But the inscription on the facade shows, Christo Salvatori, Christ the Saviour.

At present, St John, is the oldest and number one of the main four basilicas in Rome. This is a seat to the bishop of Rome, which is the Pope. But due to the workload, this basilica is run by Cardinal Vicar General for the Diocese of Rome.

Roman Catholics are convinced, this church is the mother of all churches, infact the inscription at the facade reads: Most Holy Lateran Church, of all the churches in the city and the world, the mother and head.

In St John square, stands the largest obelisk in the world, which is brought from the Karnak temple of Thebes in Egypt.

St Helena, mother of Emperor Constantine I, brought Scala Sancta to Rome. Roman Catholic church tradition tells, Jesus Christ walked the staircase before Pilate in the city of Jerusalem.



Adu K

Nov
08
2012
0

Villa Doria Pamphilj

vdpPope Innocent X (originally Cardinal Giambattista Pamphili), in addition to changing the look of Piazza Navona in remembrance to his Pamphili family, also started renovating the old villa atop Gianicolo hill, bought in 1630 by Pamfilio Pamphili.

The renovated and enlarged villa, then came to be known as Villa Pamphili. A dispute erupted following the death of Girolamo Pamphili’s (last male heir) in 1760. Soon after the last heir died, the dispute continued until 1763.

The dispute was settled down by Pope Clement XIII, who granted the Pamphili heritage to Prince Giovanni Andrea IV Doria based on the marriage between Giovanni Andrea III Doria and Anna Pamphili. After the pope’s ruling, the villa vdp1became Villa Doria Pamphili.

Inside Villa Doria Pamphili there are: gardens, one Casino, one theatre, one chapel, two villas, small lake and fountains. The total area of the park is almost 2 square km. This is an ideal park for jogging, biking, picnic, bird watching, walking and so on.


Adu K

Nov
05
2012
0

Disney on Ice – Let’s Party!

“Disney On Ice” will turn your day into an extraordinary adventure! ir_disneyoniceIs about to arrive in Italy “Disney On Ice – Let’s Party!”. The new production on ice of “Feld Entertainment”, with lots of Disney characters, over 50!

It’s an original Disney Show, with classic and modern Disney songs, a fabulous story with bright costumes on ice and with such infectious energy of Mickey Mouse and his friends for adults and children: these are the ingredients of the show that will take audiences to celebrate some of the most famous festivals in the world, all in one evening and in your own city – from “Halloween” with the “Disney Villains” to “Dance Royal Valentine’s Day” with the “Disney Princesses” to “Happy Birthday Do not” with Alice and the “Mad Hatter “.

A fun and exciting production that will accompany the audience in an ideal “world tour”, including exotic destinations like Brazil (with its Carnival parade) or Hawaii (for a “luau party”) and Japan (with the its “Festival of Flower”).

“Disney On Ice – Let’s Party! offers families a reason to celebrate at any time of the year, “says producer Kenneth Feld. “It ‘a wonderful show, unforgettable, and the audience will go home remembering to celebrate everyday joys and successes of life.” 

The tour will touch Rome from Novermber 29 to December 2 at “Palalottomatica”.

So hurry up, book your tickets and match it with the best accomodation in Rome!


Our Blogger: Rhodora


Rome Hotel Des Artistes - Via Villafranca 20 00185 Rome Italy - Ph +39 064454365 Fax +39 064462368 - info@hoteldesartistes.com